9/06/2007

I think someone is calling me a nerd.

Avid readers may recall that I gave a couple of mentions to Alaska blogs I regularly read. Turns out Ishmael uses the "links to this blog" feature.


Those kind words from Christie, a geologist who spent summer here last year and is now teaching in South Africa. I think. Most of her blog is in Greek. Or Latin. Witness:

{here he quotes my Worcester rocks post}

But it's pretty witty and breezy writing, and I think I recognize a couple of those words from college, though.

I'm especially humbled by her listing the KoKon on her blog under "things i read over lunch."


Hey Ishmael! you should see what I've got on the Rock. Turns out South Africa 600 million years ago wasn't so different than Kodiak 60 million years ago. Who'dathunkit. working conditions can be quite different however:
Me, cranky, Isthmus Bay (Chiniak), Alaska June, 2002: Photo by my adviser J. Casey

Me, happy, Worcester, Western Cape, South Africa, September 2007: (self portrait taken with aid of boulder of nasty coarse vein quartz! This puppy has got to be chalk full of fluid inclusions! But no carbonate in sight (no pun intended)).

2 comments:

Zoya, Patrick, Nora and Stuart said...

So did the cape also have a 'mid ocean ridge' subducted under it? I gather that is why Kodiak has a granite core - it is all the sedimentary rocks melted as if by a blowtorch by the subducting 'mid ocean ridge'. patrick

Christie Rowe said...

Hey Patrick, you are correct about Kodiak. Unfortunately the story for the Cape Granites is not as well understood, they are of an age (~550 million) when there were a lot of igneous intrusions around southern Africa (Pan-African age) but I don't think anybody is really sure why. The result is pretty similar to Kodiak though, black slates with granites.